As you had a chance to see, installing a theme demo is a pretty quick process. When you install it, you get access to every post, page, custom post type, comment, and category that was included in the demo version. However, what you won’t get is access to all theme demo widgets.
But, don’t worry, we got you covered. There are two ways you can import widgets files 一 by importing Widgets export file (.wie) or by importing the Customizer export file (.dat). Here’s how you can do both of these imports:
Importing Widgets Export file (.wie file)
Inside the theme demo .zip file you downloaded, you will find the Widgets Export file, also known as a .wie file. The WIE file contains information about active widgets and their positions in theme widget-ready areas.
If you want to import widgets with the theme demo content as well, you’ll need to download, install, and activate Widget Importer & Exporter plugin.
After you have installed and activated the plugin, follow these three steps:
- Navigate to Tools → Widget Importer & Exporters in your WordPress admin panel.
- Click on the Choose File button and search for the .wie file in demo directory on your computer.
- Once the file is uploaded, click on the Import Widgets button and you’re all done.
Widget Importer will activate all widgets and place them in the right widget areas. Please note that if you get an error message, that means that your theme is probably missing a widget-ready area, but all other widgets should be imported correctly.
Importing Customizer Export file (.dat file)
Inside the theme demo .zip file you downloaded, there is a Customizer Export file, also known as a .dat file. This file contains the values in the Customizer that are the same as the ones in our theme demo.
Before importing the Customizer Export file, you’ll need to download, install, and activate the Customizer Export/Import plugin.
After you have installed and activated the plugin, follow these four steps to import customizer export file:
- Navigate to Appearance → Customize → Export/Import in your WordPress admin panel.
- In the Import section, click on the Choose File button and search for the .dat file in the demo directory on your computer.
- Click on the Open button to upload the file.
- Once the file is uploaded, check the Download and import image files box and click on the button Import. And that’s it 一 you’re done.
By doing these steps, you will import all images into the Customizer, including your logo, background, etc.