Installing a WordPress theme is just as quick and easy as installing WordPress is. (If you haven’t installed WordPress already, you can do so by following the official WordPress guide.)
Themes Kingdom WordPress themes can be installed in two different ways:
- using the upload method from the WordPress admin,
- using FTP.
Installing a WordPress theme using the upload method
If you want to install a theme using the WordPress admin, be sure to follow these seven steps:
- Log in to your site’s WordPress admin panel.
You can do so by typing “/wp-admin” after your site’s URL (if your site address is “http://www.example.com” you’ll need to type in “http://www.example.com/wp-admin”). Now, type in your username and password, and you’re in.
2. In your site’s admin panel, navigate to Appearance → Themes.
3. Once the themes window is opened, click on the Add New button at the top of the page.
4. On the next screen that appears, click on the Upload Themes button.
5. Click on the Choose File button and search your computer for the themename.zip* file which you downloaded earlier.
6. Once the file is uploaded, click on the Install Now button and wait for the theme to upload.
7. Once the theme installation is completed, you’ll get a message containing information about your theme. Below that message, you’ll see the links to activate and preview the theme, as well as Return to Theme Installer. Click on Activate link and your theme installation is completed.
Note: If you bought Themes Kingdom theme from Themeforest.com, please do not upload the whole file you have downloaded. Before uploading, browse for the themename.zip* file, inside the WordPress directory, in the main folder you have downloaded.
Installing a WordPress theme using FTP
Installing a WordPress theme using FTP is a bit more advanced than the upload method, which is why we wouldn’t recommend it if you are a beginner. If you are curious to see what this installation is all about, be sure to read the rest of the text carefully.
What is FTP?
FTP, short for File Transfer Protocol, is a protocol that allows you to transfer files from your computer to your site’s hosting account. This protocol comes handy when you want to upload a theme or plugin file manually.
If you want to upload files to your WordPress site, you’ll need to install an FTP client on your computer. FTP client is nothing more than an app that helps you transfer files using this protocol.
Which FTP client should I choose?
Some of the most popular FTP clients are FileZilla, WinSCP, and Cyberduck.
Our advice is to choose FileZilla, as this FTP client is free, and works on Windows, Mac, and Linux (WinSCP is built for Windows users, while Cyberduck is developed for Mac users only).
Installing a theme using FTP
Before you decide to install a theme using an FTP client, you first need to install and set your FTP program. To do so, using the FileZilla client, be sure to check the official, in-depth video on FileZilla installation and configuration.
Use FTP client to access your web host server.
Unzip theme file you previously downloaded. On the left side, you will see folders on your local machine, and on the right side, you will see the server content. On the right side, locate your WordPress installation folder and upload the theme folder into the ..wp-content/themes/.
Now that you have access to your WordPress installation files transfer your unzipped theme to your server in the ..wp-content/themes/. Once you complete this step, all you need to do is activate the theme.
When the upload is complete access the WordPress admin panel by going to http://www.example.com/wp-admin and navigate to Appearance –> Themes and activate the theme.
Note: If you bought the theme from Themeforest.com, please do not upload the whole file you have downloaded. Before uploading, browse for the themename.zip* file, inside the WordPress directory, in the main folder you have downloaded.
*The file name is based on the theme name you bought.