To ensure you have a secure, and up and running website, we are releasing theme updates regularly, every couple of months. These updates mostly cover bug fixes but often contain feature improvements and critical updates related to the new WordPress version.
We would advise you to update your theme(s) as soon as you notice that we released a new update. You can do so in two ways 一 completely or partially.
Complete theme update
You should do a complete update of your theme when you didn’t modify any theme file, or in cases when an update contains too many updates that can’t be handled manually. Before the update, be sure to download the latest theme version from the Themes Kingdom website.
To update a theme completely, be sure to follow these steps:
1. Log in to your WordPress admin panel and navigate to Appearance → Themes.
2. Activate a default WordPress theme (Twenty Nineteen or Twenty Twenty).
3. Click on a theme you wish to update and click on the Delete link in the bottom right corner.
4. Confirm theme deletion.
5. After the theme is deleted, click on the Add New button at the top of the screen. At this moment, the WordPress panel will load free themes.
6. Click the Upload Theme button at the top of the screen.
7. Browse for a downloaded theme .zip file on your computer.
8. Press the Install Now button to upload and install a theme. This step may take a while, depending on the theme .zip file size and your Internet upload speed.
9. After the theme is installed, you will see a confirmation message. Click on Activate link to activate the theme.
Your theme is now up-to-date and ready to use. Keep in mind that after a theme update, some local variables may be lost, like a logo and some other theme settings, so you’ll need to set them up again.
Note: If you need help installing a theme, be sure to check out our article on how to install a WordPress theme in two different ways.
Partial theme update
You should do a partial theme update of your theme when you have modified theme files, and you didn’t create a child theme. Before the update, be sure to backup your whole site.
To update a theme partially, follow these steps:
1. Download the latest theme version from the Themes Kingdom website.
2. Unpack the theme .zip file on your computer.
3. Connect to your server using an FTP client. If you are not sure how to do so, please contact your hosting provider.
4. After you are connected to a server, open Change Log on the Themes Kingdom website.
5. From the unpacked theme file, upload only files listed in Change Log.6. Once you are done uploading, check your site to see if everything is working correctly. Keep in mind that in cases when files in Change Log override your changes, you have to convert the current theme to child theme, and then to perform the partial update.
And that’s it 一 you’re all done!