Theme installation process is quite simple. All you need to do is download the theme zip file and unpack it.
Once you unpack the zip file, you’ll end up with two additional .zip files – Parent theme .zip file and Child theme .zip file. The Child theme zip file is named after the theme you’ve purchased.
What does this mean?
In WordPress, you can create a Child theme – a completely independent WordPress theme that takes the functionality of a Parent theme. This means that you can modify a Child theme while keeping a Parent theme intact and that, more importantly, you can update the Parent theme without fearing that you will lose your changes.
If you want an up and running WordPress theme, you will need to install both themes and activate a Child theme.
To install a theme, follow these steps:
- Log in to the WordPress admin panel.
- Go to Appearance -> Themes, and click the Add New button at the top of the screen.
- On Add Themes screen, click the Upload Theme button at the top.
- Click the Choose File button and browse for a theme zip file. Make sure to select the Parent theme first.
- Click the Install Theme button. The installation process will begin.
- After the theme is installed, click on the Return to Themes page.
- Now, you’ll need to install a Child theme. Repeat the steps 2 – 4. Make sure to select a Child theme zip file – it’s the theme that you have purchased.
- After the Child theme is installed, click the Activate button.
After a Child theme is activated, you will be taken to the setup process. The setup process will install all required plugins, import all the content, and set up the theme.
Note: During the setup process, you’ll need to keep the tab open.
During the setup process:
- Start: In the first step, you will be notified of which theme is active. Click the Start button to initiate the setup process.
- Plugin Installation: In the second step, the installer will install all the required plugins. If you click on the Advanced button, you will get a list of plugins that will be installed. Click the Install button to start the plugin installation process.
- Demo Content Import: Click the Advanced button to see what content will be imported. Click the Import button to start the demo content importing process.
Note: Depending on the theme and your server, the import process can take up a few minutes.
- Final Step: When the content is imported, you can preview your website or return to the Dashboard. Clicking the Advanced button will reveal two more links:
Explore WordPress: Leads to the WordPress.org support where you can learn more about WordPress and explore its possibilities.
Start Customizing: Leads to the Customizer of your site.
Note: We strongly suggest you return to the Dashboard. The installer will install the Jetpack and/or WooCommerce plugin (depending on which theme you have purchased). Still, you will need to connect Jetpack and set up WooCommerce pages.