Theme installation is a quite simple process. After downloading the theme zip file, and unpacking it, you will find two zip files.
One zip file is the parent theme, while the theme that you have purchased is actually a child theme.
What does that mean?
In WordPress, you can create a child theme – a completely independent theme, but it will inherit all functionalities and styles from a parent theme. That wat you can modify child theme while keeping a parent theme intact, and what is the most important – you can update the parent theme without fear that you will lose your changes.
The installation process is the same as before, but you will need to install both themes and activate the only theme that you have purchased.
To install the theme:
- Login into WordPress admin panel.
- Go to Appearance -> Themes, and click on Add New button at the top of the screen.
- On Add Themes screen click on the Upload Theme button on the top.
- Click on Choose File button, and browse for the theme zip file. Make sure to first select the parent theme.
- Click on the Install Theme button. The installation process will begin.
- After the theme is installed, click on Return to Themes page.
- Now you will need to install a child theme. Repeat steps from 2 – 4. Make sure to select a child theme zip file – it’s the theme that you have purchased.
- After the child theme is installed click on Activate.
After the child theme is activated, you will be taken to the setup process. The setup process will install all required plugins, import all the content and set up the theme.
Note: During the setup process, you need to keep the tab open.
During the setup process:
- Start: In the first step, you will be notified what theme is active. Click on the Start button to initiate the setup process.
- Plugin Installation: On the second step, the installer will install all the required plugins. If you click on Advanced, you will get a list of plugins that will be installed. Click on the Install button to start the plugin installation process.
- Demo Content Import: After the plugin installation is done, it’s time to import demo content. Click on the Advanced button will reveal what content will be imported. Click on the Import button to start demo content import.
Note: Depending on the theme and your server import process can take up a few minutes.
- Final Step: When the content is imported, you can view your website or return to the dashboard. Advanced will reveal two more links:
Explore WordPress: Leads to WordPress.org support where you can learn more and explore WordPress possibilities.
Start Customizing: Leads to the Customizer of your site.
Note: We strongly suggest you return to the Dashboard. The installer will install JetPack and/or WooCommerce plugin(if you got an e-commerce ready theme), but you will need to connect JetPack and set up WooCommerce pages.