A WordPress theme version can be found in two ways: by accessing the WordPress admin panel* or by accessing the main style.css file.
Finding a WordPress theme version in the WordPress admin panel
Here are the steps you need to take if you want to find your theme’s version via the WordPress admin panel:
1. Log in to your WordPress admin panel.
2. Navigate to Appearance → Themes.
3. In the Themes section, you can see all your installed themes. Click on the desired theme, and a pop-up window will appear.
4. On the right side of the pop-up, you’ll see a theme name, and right next to it is a theme version.
Bear in mind that this method works both for active and inactive themes.
Finding a theme version in the CSS file
Here are the steps you need to take if you want to find your theme’s version by accessing the style.css file:
1. Once you download the theme you wish to use, you’ll see that the theme files are packed in one .zip file. Unzip that file.
2. Look for the main theme directory, which contains the style.css file.
3. Find the style.css file.
4. Open the file using text or code editor.
5. In the first few lines of the file, you’ll see the line that contains “Version:”.
Keep in mind that if your theme is active, you can find a theme version through your WordPress admin panel. All you need to do is log in to your WordPress admin panel and go to Appearance → Editor. The style.css file will be opened by default, and all you’ll have to do is search for the line that contains “Version:”.
*If you want to find a theme version in the WordPress admin panel, the theme has to be uploaded to WordPress.