Adding a custom domain to your WordPress website is a process that requires a bit more of your time. To ensure you add a custom domain to your website properly, we wrote down 16 steps that will guide you through this whole process – they include using our Themes Kingdom system and NameCheap, a domain name registration company.
We highly suggest you use NameCheap, but you can use any website hosting company you find suitable.
Here are all the steps you need to go through to add a custom domain to your website:
- Log in to the sites.themeskingdom.com.
- Find the site for which you want to add a custom domain in the Your sites section.
- Click the Settings button, next to the Go to WP admin button.
- Click the Domains link, placed on the left side of the page.
- Below the section CNAME RECORD VALUE, you’ll see a value containing letters and numbers. Copy this CNAME by clicking the COPY button.
- Log in to your domain registrar, go to Domain List → Domain.
- Click the MANAGE button to start editing a domain.
- Under the REDIRECT DOMAIN, delete the current URL, the current record, by clicking on the trash icon.
- Click on the Advanced DNS section and delete the current CNAME record by clicking on the trash icon.
- To add a new CNAME record, click the ADD NEW RECORD button, then choose CNAME Record, select the host and paste the copied value. Be sure to save the changes you’ve made.
- Repeat the previous step, but under the Host section, type in “www”.
- Go back to the Themes Kingdom system and, under the DOMAINS section, click the ADD NEW DOMAIN button.
- Type in the new domain and click the Add Domain button.
- Once you receive a confirmation that the new domain that’s added is valid, you will be able to see two domains in the DOMAINS section.
- To make the domain name you just added a primary domain, click the MAKE PRIMARY button. Once the setting is done, you will be able to see a confirmation message – “New domain set as primary.”
- To test whether the new domain is truly set as primary, click the Go to site button at the top right of the screen. Keep in mind that it may take a couple of minutes to set up your domain. If you happen to see an error, just wait for a few seconds and refresh the page.