Aperitive is WordPress blog and portfolio theme. Lightweight, with attractive and modern design, it draws visitor’s attention to the content. Theme can be used for blogging, or portfolio theme.
WordPress is well-known for its ease of installation. Under most circumstances, installing WordPress is a very simple process and takes less then five minutes to complete. Many web hosts now offer tools to automatically install WordPress for you. However, we strongly recommend that you install WordPress yourself, the following guide will help http://codex.WordPress.org/Installing_WordPress.
Theme can be installed in two different ways:
- Installing through WordPress
- The Traditional installation using FTP client
Installing through WordPress
Installing a theme through WordPress is quite easy and it will take only few minutes of your time. Login into WordPress admin panel, and go to Appearance -> Themes. Click on Add New button, and then Upload from the navigation bar right below it. Click on Choose File button, and browse your computer for aperitive.zip file and click Install Now. After installation is complete, click on Activate link.
The Traditional installation using FTP client
First things first, you will need an FTP client (example FileZilla which is free, easy to use and it works on Windows, Mac and Linux) to access your web host server. Now that you have access to your WordPress installation files simply transfer your unzipped theme to your server in the ..wp-content/themes/. The only thing left to do after that is activating the theme, to do that go to your WordPress admin panel and navigate to Appearance -> Themes, search for Aperitive and click Activate link right below it.
First Steps After Theme Activation
Aperitivetheme should be set to use static page.
Setting theme reading settings
Login into WordPress admin panel, and go to Settings -> Reading. Set Front page displays option to Your latest posts. Press Save Changes button in order to populate changes.
Setting theme reading settings – Static Page landing page
Login into WordPress admin panel and go to Pages – > Add New. Create new page – enter title (e.g. Home). Click on Publish button in order to populate page. Now create another new page (e.g. Blog), with Default page template, using the same method.
When you are done, go to Settings -> Reading. and set the theme to display static page. Then select previously create pages – for Front page select your desired page (e.g. Home), and for Posts page select your page with Default page template (e.g. Blog) . The page you select for your Post page will display all blog posts.
Press Save Changes button in order to populate changes.
Next important thing to do is setting your permalinks, we strongly suggest the use of pretty permalinks. Go to Setting -> Permalinks and select Post name.
Installing suggested plugins
Aperitive theme comes with extra plugins. After theme activation, you will be prompted to install and/or activate those plugins.
Some plugins are required, since they adds theme functionalities. Other plugins are there to add some extra features.
- Aperitive Custom Post Types
- Restaurant Reservations
- Flickr Badges Widget
- Aperitive Widgets
- Widget Visibility
- TK Advertising Widget
- TK Shortcodes
- TK Social Share
TK Custom Post Types
Restaurant Reservations plugin adds reservations feature to your site. With reservations, visitors can submit request for reservation, with specific date and party size. Detailed instructions for reservations are available in Restaurant Reservations section.
Flickr Badges Widget
Flickr Badges Widget plugin allows you to display your Flickr photos in the sidebar. After activating the plugin an new widget called Wolf Flickr will be available in Appearance -> Widgets. Here you can set widget options – enter Flickr username, title, text and number of photos.
Aperitive theme comes with custom widgets which extends default widgets. Included widgets are:
Instead of dealing with different sidebar areas and setting same widgets for different pages or posts, this plugin allows you to set visibility for each widget. This means that you can set which widget will appear on what page and/or post.
In Appearance -> Widgets you will find that each widget now have additional button Visibility. Read more in Widgets section.
TK Advertising Widget
Advertising Widgets adds custom post type Advertising. With advertising you can create ads and display them on site. Advertising allows you to create custom banners or to paste third-party banner code(Google Ads). Learn more about Advertising plugin.
TK Shortcodes plugin will add awesome shortcodes to your theme. With them you can enrich your content and create different content layouts. Learn more about Themes Kingdom Shortcodes.
TK Social Share
TK Social Share plugin adds social share component to Aperitive theme. After plugin installation, and activation, new option TK Social Share will appear in admin panel sidebar. TK Social Share plugin settings:
- General Settings: Her you can set turn on or off where social share plugin will appear – on posts, pages and on archive page.
- Social Settings: Easily add or remove desired sharing services. Simply drag and drop desired social networks sharing to enabled services.
- Display Settings: Display settings panel allows you to customize position of sharing buttons, and to select style for your sharing buttons.
Importing Demo Content
Read first: Before importing content, please make sure to install all required plugins!
One Click Demo Installation
Aperitive theme comes with maximally simplified demo installation. This feature will install demo and set your site to look exactly like Aperitive demo.
Login into WordPress admin panel and go to Appearance -> import Sample Data.
First select desired demo, by clicking on it, and then click on Import Demo Data.
Please note that import will take a while – lot of images and content should be imported.
Note: If it happen that demo import suddenly stops, simply select same demo again, and click on Import Demo Data again. Depending from your server configuration, it might happen that you will need to do this few times.
This can be fixed by:
- Contacting your hosting provider, and asking them to increase
max_execution_timein your php.ini configuration.
set_time_limit(240);line to your wp-config.php file.
- Install WP Maximum Execution Time Exceeded plugin.
Traditional Demo Import
If you want your site to look like Aperitive demo, you will need to import demo content.
Go to your Themes Kingdom account and click on the XML icon to download demo file.
After download is complete, you will need to import demo content:
- Login into your WordPress admin panel.
- Go to Tools -> Import.
- Click on the WordPress, install the plugin if you don’t already have it.
- When the plugin is opened click on the Choose File button.
- Select XML file you previously downloaded.
- Select authors to assign to posts. You may choose an existing author or create a new one.
- WordPress will then import each of the posts, pages, custom post types, comments, and categories contained in our demo version.
- Done! Very important thing to do after you are done with importing demo content is updating menus. To do that go to Appearance -> Menus. Select desired menu and under the Menu Settings at the bottom of the page check Primary Menu, then click Save Menu button to save changes.
For more detailed explanation how to Import demo content, visit this link.
The Customizer is great WordPress feature which allows you to customize theme and set theme options. Customization options available in The Customizer:
- Site Identity
- Header Image
- Background Image
- Static Front Page
- Paging Settings
- Color Settings
- Theme Settings
- Font Settings
- Custom CSS
- Footer Copyright
Site Identity allows you to set your site logos, title, tagline and icon. Site title is the name of your site and it will be displayed in the header, if the logo image is not set. Tagline is short description, or your motto, and it’s displayed just under the title.
- Logo: Site logo. It should be in JPEG, GIF or PNG format, and not larger than 220px wide.
- Retina Logo: Retina logo is used on devices with Retina display(iPhone, MacBook…). Retina logo should be double size, JPEG, GIF or PNG image, recommended up to 500KB.
- Site title: Name of your site.
- Tagline: Site punchline.
- Display Site Title and Tagline: If enabled, site title and tagline will be displayed if the logo is not set. If you set the logo, only tagline will be displayed.
- Site Icon: The Site Icon is used as a browser and app icon for your site. Icons must be square, and at least 512px wide and tall.
Header image is displayed on the left(or right side for RTL languages) of the screen. On single post or page it will be used featured image from that post or page. If the featured image is not set, theme will use image from this setting.
Background Image allows you to upload image that will be used as background image instead of solid color.
- Background Image: Upload your background image. JPG, PNG and GIF formats are supported.
- Background Repeat: If you are using large, one piece image, then you should set No Repeat option. However if you plan to use smaller, repeating pattern, then you should select:
- Tile: Image will be repeated by default, starting from top left corner.
- Tile Horizontally: Image will be repeated horizontally, starting from top left corner.
- Tile Vertically: Image will be repeated vertically, starting from top left corner.
- Background Position: Defines where and how background should be placed. You should use Center if you are using large, one piece background.
- Background Attachment: Defines if background image will have fixed position, and always visible to the user, or it will scroll as user scrolls through the site.
This option allows you to quick manage created menus. You can select which created menu will be displayed as Primary Menu or Social Menu. If you need to manage actual menu items, you can do that in Appearance -> Menu.
Widgets section allows you to quickly manage widgets in widget areas. This option allows you the same possibility as Widgets option in WordPress admin panel.
Static Front Page
This option works the same way as Settings -> Reading. It allows you to set them to read latest post or to use static pages for landing and blog page.
Aperitive theme allows you to change paging type.
- Choose Archive Paging Type: Archive page can use standard pagination or infinite scroll.
- Choose infinite load type: If you have selected Infinite scroll for archive page, you can set.
Colors panel allows you to set color for some elements in the theme.
- General Theme Colors: General colors of the theme. Here you can set colors for headings, links, text…
- Header Colors: Color of main navigation elements and header navigation background color.
- Home Slider Colors: Colors for the slider – background, text, links…
Gallery settings allows you to set number of images that will be displayed on page with Gallery template.
Blog Layout Settings
Blog Layout Settings allows you to customize number of columns on blog page, and to disable author box on single post page.
- Blog Layout: Blog can be displayed in one or two columns.
- Display author box under single post content: Check box to display Author info box under single article.
Food menu settings
Food menu settings contains only setting to enable/disable single menu item. If enabled, user will be able to access single menu item page, with all details. Useful when you wish to display food ingridients.
Contact Page Settings
Contact settings are used to insert Google Maps embed code as iframe, and to set message on form submit success.
Aperitive theme allows you to set font family and font weight for headings, paragraphs, and navigation elements.
In custom CSS section you can enter your custom classes, so you don’t need to mess with original styles, or create child theme. Of course, you should create child theme if you plan to modify other files as well.
Footer copyright field allows you to insert copyright information which will be displayed in the footer.
Aperitive theme comes with one default menu location – primary menu, and social menu.
The Primary menu is located in theme’s header area. This menu can contain custom links, pages, categories, tags, or posts.
Social menu is used to displayed in the bottom of the site and should contain links to the social profiles.
Creating Primary menu
Login into WordPress admin panel and go to Appearance -> Menus. Click on Create a new menu link. Enter name for your menu(e.g. Primary), and press Create Menu button. Your new menu is created. Now you can add your pages, posts, categories, tags and links to the menu. When you are done check option Primary Menu and press Save Menu button.
- Click on “create new menu” to add new menu.
- Here you should define a name for your menu, after that click on the Create Menu button right next to it.
- Select pages you want to add to your menu. When you are done with selecting pages, click on Add to menu button below. You can also add custom links, posts, categories etc. as you can see in the panels below.
- If you want to customize or delete menu item, click on the arrow icon in the top right corner of the menu box to expand it. Inside you will find:
- This menu editor allows you to create multi-level menus. To do that simply hold your left mouse button and drag desired menu items left or right. Dragging menu items slightly to the right will make them sub-menus for the menu item that is above them. You can also change the order of appearance of menu items by dragging them up or down. Remember to save the changes when you are done with editing (No4).
- Set “Primary Menu” check box to checked if you want this to be your primary menu.
Creating Social menu
Login into WordPress admin panel and go to Appearance -> Menus. Click on Create a new menu link. Enter name for your menu(e.g. Social), and press Create Menu button. Your new menu is created. Now add full links to your social profile as Custom Links. When you are done check option Social Menu and press Save Menu button.
Widgets are used to add content and features to your sidebar and footer. There are default WordPpress widgets and and custom widgets that come with the theme. Adding and removing widgets is quite easy, just follow the instructions below:
Login into your WordPpress admin panel and navigate to Appearance -> Widgets.
- Choose a widget you would like to use, and drag it into the sidebar to right (shown in No 3). Widgets will become active after a page refresh.
- Widget area where you place desired widgets.
- You can add, remove or customize widgets in widget areas. To do that click on the arrow icon in the top right corner of the widget box to expand it. You can also change the order of appearance by simply dragging widgets up and down.
Aperitive theme have only sidebar widget area.
If you have installed Widget Visibility plugin that is bundled with the theme, you will be able to set widget visibility depending from post or page. Visibility works in simple if or if not logic. This means that you can set widget to be visible if some condition is, or if it’s not matched. Widget visibility options will be displayed as part of the widget.
Show widget only on contact page: Select from dropdown Show only, and then from list check box near your contact page. Save changes. This way widget will be displayed only on contact page.
Hide widget only on contact page: Select from dropdown Hide, and then from list check box near your contact page. Save changes. This way widget will be hidden only on contact page.
Advertising widget allows you to display ads in sidebars and footer, in order to use this widget you will have to install TK Advertising Widget plugin. You can find out how to add new ads in chapter Advertising.
- Select Ad: Select ad you want to show.
- Ad size: Ads can be shown in “fullwidth” or “halfwidth”. Size is calculated based on widget area width.
- Bottom margin: Spacing between bottom of the ad and the next widget. Value is in pixels.
- Top margin: Spacing between top of the ad and the next widget. Value is in pixels.
Flickr widget allows you to display images from Flickr, in order to use this widget you will have to install Flickr Badges Widget plugin.
- Title: Insert widget title.
- Type: The type of images from user or group.
- Insert Flickr ID: Instructions how to get Flickr ID: http://zourbuth.com/tools/flickr-nsid/ .
- Number: Insert number of images you want to be displayed in the widget.
- Display Method: You can set widget to display latest or random images.
- Sizes: Set size for displayed images. It can be standard, thumbnail and medium.
- Show Copyright: Show widget copyright with link on the front page.
- Save widget settings.
Facebook widget allows you to place URL to your Facebook page. After you add Facebook page URL, Facebook like box will appear in desired widget area. Make sure that you are using your page full URL (example https://www.facebook.com/themeskingdom).
Newsletter widget works with two services – MadMimi and MailChimp. Both MadMimi and MailChimp will require that you to have an active account. For detailed instructions how to set MadMimi or MailChimp accounts, please check this link.
Aperitive Latest Posts
Aperitive Latest Posts widget will display desired number of posts from all or specific category.
- Title: Enter title which will be displayed above list of the posts.
- Filter by Category: Posts from select category will be displayed. All Categories will display posts from all categories in chronological order.
- Number of posts to show: How many posts will be displayed in the widget.
Twitter widget will display desired number of latest Tweets. It requires you to have Twitter account and Twitter API key.
You can find all the instructions how to setup Twitter here.
- Title: Title that will be displayed above the tweets.
- Consumer key: Key that you have generated in Twitter API setup. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Consumer Secret: Equivalent to your Twitter password. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Access Token: Twitter API token. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Access Token Secret: Twitter API token password. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Cache Tweets: Twitter caching option that allows you to set how often tweets will be obtained. This option should speed up site, and reduce chance that you will hit Twitter API calls quota. Usual value is between 2 – 4 hours.
- Tweets to display: Number of tweets that will be displayed.
- Exclude replies: Check this option if you don’t wish to display replies to your tweets.
Instagram feed widget
Instagram feed widget will display images from desired Instagram account.
- Title: Title for your Instagram feed widgets.
- Username: Instagram username from which will be displayed images.
- Number of photos: Number of photos that will be displayed in the feed.
- Open links in: Where links will be opened – in the same tab or in the new one.
- Link text: Text that will appear for Instagram profile link.
Aperitive Social Icons
Social Icons widget will display icons to social profiles. You will need to enter full link to your social profile (e.g. https://facebook.com/themeskingdom)
Booking form widget will display booking form. There are no additional settings for this widget.
Aperitive theme comes with several different post formats: Standard, Gallery, Video, Quote and Link.
- Post title: Name of your post. It will be displayed on the front end.
- Post content: Content of your post – text, images, shortcodes and other.
- Publish: Publish options. You can set custom date and time for publishing your post, and set post status – draft, in review or published.
- Post formats: Different post formats will display content in different way. You can choose one of the following post formats:
- Category: Each post in WordPress is filed under one or more categories. This aids in navigation and allows posts to be grouped with others of similar content.
- Tags: Tags are words that allows you to organize posts by similar content.
- Set featured image: Featured image will be used as cover image on front end, covering the left half of the screen.
Standard post format
Standard post format is the most common format, and it can be used for different purposes. In Standard post format, featured image will be displayed above the title and post content.
Gallery post format
Gallery post format allows you to set several images which will be displayed as slideshow on the single post page. After selection Gallery format, additional Gallery Fields will be displayed. You can add additional Gallery images fileds, so you can upload desired images. Featured image will be used as cover image on the front page, while additional images will be displayed as slideshow on single post page.
Video post format
Video post format allows you to easily add video to your post. After selecting Video format, additional Video Options panel will be displayed below editor area. Here you can paste URL to your video (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo…). Player with your video will be displayed above the post title and content.
Quote post format
Quote post format is great way to display different thoughts. After selecting quote Quote post format, two additional fields for quote text and quote author will be displayed below the editor. On the front end, featured image will be displayed above the quote text and quote author. Featured image and text will be displayed on black background, so quote and image will look like poster.
Link post format
With Link post format you can create cool looking links to interesting Internet locations. After selecting quote Link post format, two additional fields for link text and link URL will be displayed below the editor. On the front end, featured image will be displayed above the quote text and quote author. Link post format will display featured image above the post title and link text. Featured image and text will be displayed on white background.
Pages are for content such as About, Contact, etc. Pages live outside of the normal blog chronology, and are often used to present timeless information about yourself or your site — information that is always applicable. You can use Pages to organize and manage any content.
Aperitive theme uses different page templates to display different information. Included page templates:
- Default Template – Default Template is multipurpose page template, without any special property.
- Contact – Contact page template is used to display contact form and Google map. Map will be displayed only if embed code is added in Contact Settings.
- Gallery – On page with Gallery Template will be displayed all Portfolio items.
- Menu – Menu page template will display all menu items.
If you set featured image for pages, image will be used as cover image in
Food Menus option allows creating of single menu items, menu item labels and menu sections.
- Menu item name: Enter name for food dish.
- Menu item content: Content can be used to describe dish, ingredients and such.
- Price: Price of single dish. You should enter it with currency symbol.
- Publish: Publish options. You can set custom date and time for publishing your project, and set project status – draft, in review or published.
- Menu item labels: Labels work same way as tags, and are used to mark specific dishes. For example, you can create tags for recommended dishes, spicy, new, gluten free…
- Menu Sections: Each dish or item can be filed under one or more sections. Sections work same way as categories and are used to group similar items – starters, pastas, wines…
- Set featured image: Featured image will be used as cover image on front end.
Add Many Items
Option is used when you need to add several items quick, without too much additional details. This option will display only name, price, label and description.
Menu Item Labels
Labels work same way as tags, and are used to mark specific dishes. For example, you can create tags for recommended dishes, spicy, new, gluten free…
Each dish or item can be filed under one or more sections. Sections work same way as categories and are used to group similar items – starters, pastas, wines…
Menu items will be displayed on page with Menu page template.
Gallery is used to display images from the restaurant, bar, events…or just to present dishes, drinks and such.
- Gallery title: Name of gallery item. It will be displayed on the front end.
- Content: Content of gallery item – text, images, shortcodes and other.
- Publish: Publish options. You can set custom date and time for publishing your post, and set post status – draft, in review or published.
- Tags: Tags are used to mark gallery posts with specific keywords, mostly used to closer describe gallery post.
- Category: Each gallery can be filed under one or more categories. This aids in navigation and allows galleries to be grouped with others of similar content.
- Set featured image: Featured image will be used as cover image on front end.
Gallery items will be displayed on page with Gallery page template.
Bookings are great feature provide by Restaurant Reservations plugin. Main purpose is to allow visitors to submit reservation request for specific date and time, with party size. Detailed instructions how to set reservations are available here: http://doc.themeofthecrop.com/plugins/restaurant-reservations/
Advertising post type allows you to create ads that will be displayed in Advertising Widget. This widget can be placed in footer, custom sidebar or default sidebar. In order for this custom post type to be displayed in your admin make sure to install TK Advertising Widget Plugin. You can find additional information regarding this plugin in Included plugins section.
- Advertisement name.
- Ad view / click statistics. Blue line represents number of views and while red represents number of clicks.
- Advertisement link: Link where advertisement is pointing. You should enter full URL (http://www.example.com).
- Custom banner code. Here is a guide how to get Google AdSense code.
- Once you click update/publish, your ad will be available in Advertising Widget.
- Featured image will be used as advertisement image.
You can find more information how to use Advertising Widget in Advertising Widget section.
If you need additional assistance for this theme, please submit a ticket in our support system.